Friday, February 7, 2014

Dog Ownership Is A Wonderful Gift


I once heard an interesting story of how a dog was found sitting on the front porch of its master’s new home after being lost for an extended period of time.  As the owner of two Australian pups, this phenomenon simply fascinates me.  Because my dogs are as dear to me as my own human children, if I were to lose either of these relationships my heart would long for their homeward bound return.  Therefore, my purpose will be to explore this deep connection human beings can share with dogs.  This social psychological bond between our two species is like understanding a mystery to the universe - that is, our innate need for unconditional love and faithful companionship.
I believe dog ownership is a wonderful gift and people who discover the right connection with the right dog are very fortunate people.  Personally, I have found great joy in raising my two pups, Joey & Hapa. These two Aussies have traveled with me across the country from the Grand Canyon in Arizona to Steam Boat Springs, Colorado on two separate camping trips.  They have herded sea gulls during off-leash walks along the shores of the California coastline from Chrissie Field in the San Francisco Bay south to Monterey and Carmel by the Sea.  Our dogs have driven with us across the great Mississippi River and have endured sudden tropical rain floods while passing through Sallisaw, Oklahoma approaching Little Rock, Arkansas. Today, we simply enjoy our daily walks and bicycle rides around Boyd Lake, Colorado. This unconditional love and connection for the dog species is a lifelong road trip of growing old and creating memorable times together. These furry little critters are more than just dogs, they truly are good friends.

When a dog is adopted into a human family it becomes a very intricate part of that distinct family system. The following dialog is between two brothers conversing about Marley, the family dog, from the movie; Marley & Me.  Marley is growing old and ill, but as usual he waits to greet his young friends at the local bus stop as he has done over a period of many, many years. Marley hears the approaching school bus and runs to greet his two buddies as they return home from a very long day at school. “Is he there?” “Of course he’s there, he’s always there.” “How does he know we’re coming?” “Ah, I don’t know, he just knows. Dogs know things like that.” “All dogs?”  “All good dogs.”  “Oh, there he is!  There’s Marley!” As they step off the bus and onto the sidewalk, “Hi Marley, how are you?” “I missed you.”  (Marley & Me, 2009)

I have always thought God’s purpose for creating dogs is to satisfy man’s basic need for companionship. I also believe dogs can reduce stress and relieve emotional pain. Dogs play significant roles in the homes of millions of families today. This may be a reason for why we allow dogs such prominence in our lives.  However, the relationship tends to induce a value bias which often is misunderstood by society.  Therefore, it is my intention to explore a few inspiring dog stories to appreciate the profound sense of gratitude I personally have for these animals. I also happen to think that the human-dog connection is rich, powerful, and unique. 

I welcome any thoughts you may have regarding dog ownership.




No comments:

Post a Comment